Our Top Trends in Savory Snacks 2018 report examines the key
consumer behaviors which are shaping preferences within this space, and
subsequently how this is translating into innovation and future opportunities.
Trends explored in the report:
- Insect proteins - Consumers seek new types of protein other
than whey- or plant-based. The popularity of protein diets is influencing the
mass market and is now fostering opportunities for insect proteins as consumers
show greater openness and experimental tendencies.
- Product reformulation - Simplicity of ingredients is
important in a time where consumers are sceptical about what they consume.
- Transparency with smart technology - Consumers demand
further reassurances regarding the food and drink they consume.
- Carbohydrates are here to stay - Carbohydrates are often
regarded as having a negative impact on health but consumers still eat this in
savory snack format.
- Colourful all around - Social media now plays a huge part in
individual’s lives, and this means savory snacks can benefit from having
“instaready” qualities that makes consumers want to share images.
Snacking has slowly filled gaps left by the continuing
erosion of traditional meal times over the years, and even though the purpose
of snacking does not seem to have changed drastically over 2015 – 2017,
consumers are now more interested in products that will be rewarding as main
meal replacements or augments.